There are many new Enterprise Service Bus (ESB) solutions front-and-center in the market and they are brimming with potential. They all look shiny from a cruising altitude, but there remains a sizable gap between what they sell and market. Many of them have hidden woes that eclipse their potential business gains. Minus these woes, an ESB could be more efficient and help enterprises tapping the benefits of industry 4.0. Here are some blockers inherent in modern-day ESB frameworks that enterprises cannot overlook.
1. Backlogs: In many cases, ESB frameworks have more work than what they can deliver. It fails to fulfill the integration requests on time and bends under the weight of increasing workflows. The IT using manual developer tools wastes several man-hours in building integrations and ensuring that it won't affect other integrations. To support integrations, enterprises invest in further Shadow IT, additional hardware, and specialized engineers.
To clear these backlogs, the IT must be freed from rigid conventional coding that only legion like developers can build. A modern-day ESB framework allows business users to architect durable integration flows, and integrate applications. It offers a configure and no-code development process for building integration flows that stand the test of time.
2. Compatibility Issues: Blockchain, Big Data, Dropbox, etc. technologies not only have a different design and data model, but they also have different integration requirements. Conventional ESB systems cannot address the strategic integration requirements of modern-day ecosystems.
Supporting a rapidly evolving universe of applications or linking with external ecosystems becomes a treacherously challenging task for enterprises. Teams face a barrage of challenges in navigating through complex environments and deploying new integrations. An advanced integration solution delivers elastic flexibility to fuse with new speeds, eliminating compatibility issues, and shortening projects. Teams get rich support to orchestrate SaaS and other technologies with existing on-premise systems.
3. Lengthy Cycle Times: Many ESB installations require lengthy installations and long builds. Their set up further gets delayed because of issues popping up like tornadoes. Every ESB implementation requires a distinct development and testing environment. These environments become redundant when the locations get multiplied.
A modern-day integration solution packs cloud-based architecture to address hybrid integration needs between cloud and on-premise technologies. It packs a heavy-duty yet lightweight run time engine for on-premise applications that need to installed only once for distributed operations and multiple instances.
4. Maintenance Issues: Traditional ESB platforms have age-old ailments and layered procedures. That's why they require heavy computational force and maintenance support to take off. Maintaining and tailoring global services and operations amidst manpower crunch becomes a gargantuan & costly undertaking for enterprises as different engineering resources are required at every stage.
Enterprise integration abstracts this complexity with a single view of the entire ecosystem. Business teams can get a single layer view of intelligence and computing neurons to extend maintenance support. The framework doesn't depreciate over time and saves time.
5. Poor Customer Experience: Rigid connections are hard to be scaled and extended as per growing cloud footprints. High-quality customer experience is craftsmanship that requires elastic scalability to build new features or functionalities. This can be achieved only through loose coupling of services for greater openness & inclusiveness of services and accelerated delivery.
A non-traditional ESB framework makes it easy for business and IT teams to collaborate on development efforts. Enterprises can set up a customer-centric strategy that effectively resolves their issues and improves business value. Decentralized integrations help enterprises to scale rapidly, become easy to work with, and realize revenue faster.
The aforementioned were some of the broad considerations to keep in mind while investing in an ESB framework. Find out if your ESB fits the bill or not. In this checklist, glance through the criteria that are quintessential for your ESB success.